A Marriage Certificate is the proof of registration of a marriage. Marriage Registration is done at the Sub-Registrar's office.
Why do I need marriage certificate?
- The need for a Marriage Certificate arises in case you need to prove that you are legally married to someone and even plays the role of a supporting document to obtain a passport or for changing your maiden name etc.
- Marriage certificate also works as a proof of marriage, social security -particularly among married women and is useful in obtaining visas for spouses to travel together.
- It is helpful in claiming bank deposits or life Insurance benefits when the depositor or the Insurer dies without a nomination or otherwise.
Registration under the Hindu Marriage Act
- Conditions for registration of Marriage
- Both the parties to the marriage must be Hindus
- Neither of the parties must have a spouse living at the time of marriage
- Neither of the parties must be incapable of giving a valid consent.
- The bride should be at least 18 years and the groom at least 21 years.
- The parties are not within the degrees of prohibited relationship or are not sapindas.
- 2. Documents required
- Form A in duplicate along with payment of prescribed fee.
- Wedding invitation card.
- A photograph of marriage ceremony capturing both wife and husband.
- Residential proof of either of the spouse.
- Date of Birth proof of both the parties.
- Proof of the three witnesses
- 3.Process to be followed
- An application of marriage form must be submitted with the above documents in the prescribed format.
- The marriage can be solemnized at
- the Sub Registrar Office where the marriage venue is situated,
- the Sub Registrar Office in whose jurisdiction either wife or husband has been residing for at least six months immediately preceding the date of marriage.
- Registrar may attend the marriage ceremony in person and register the same if he is requested to do so by submitting all the papers, prescribed fee in advance.
- The Registrar after going to through all the documents, registers the marriage and issues a certificate.
Registration under the Special Marriage Act
- Conditions necessary for marriage
At the time of the marriage, the following conditions must be fulfilled:
- Neither party has a spouse living
- Neither party is incapable of giving a valid consent
- The groom is at least 21 years of age and the bride is 18 years of age.
- 2. Documents required:
- Bride & Bridegroom Age Proof: Leaving Certificate/ Passport/ Birth Certificate/ Domicile Certificate/ PAN Card
- Bride & Bridegroom Residential Proof: Ration Card/ Passport/ Election Card/ Light Bill and Telephone Bill Of Own Name.
- Proof of Witnesses: - Ration Card/ Passport/ Election Card/ Driving License/ Govt. Identity Card.
- Wedding Card
- In case of Non Availability of Wedding Card Rs.100 Stamp Paper Affidavit of husband and wife
- Rs.100=00/- Court Fee Stamp
- Photographs Of both bridegroom/ bride
- 3.Process to be followed:
- The bridegroom and bride should give a notice of intended marriage 30 days in advance of solemnization along with the prescribed fees. They must have lived continuously for not less than 30 days within the jurisdiction of the Marriage Officer before giving the notice.
- If no objections are received within 30 days from the date of notice of intended marriage, the bridegroom and bride should appear before the Marriage Officer within the next 60 days after the lapse of 30 days from such a notice along with three witnesses for solemnization of the Marriage.
- The Marriage Officer after following the prescribed procedure under the Act and rules will solemnize the marriage. If the marriage is not solemnized within 90 days from the date of notice, a fresh notice has to be issued.
- The Marriage Officer will administer an oath in the prescribed form, solemnize the marriage and issue a certificate of marriage.
- The bride, bridegroom and three witnesses shall sign the declaration and the certificates of marriage.
One can also apply for registration of marriage or marriage certificate by going to the below mentioned link: