- I Paid A Bribe
- 11 years ago
- 3216 views
Bribe paid: Rs. 200/-
Venue: ********** nagar police station, Kothrud, Pune during the verification of your passport application.
Department: Police + passport office
The event follows like this:
1. You get a call from the police station in the morning and you are asked to report there within next 1hr with all the required documentation for police verification.
2. The officer is cooperative, if not cordial and verifies all the documents beside asking hazzar other questions and you feel confident that it's all done.
3. You spend 15-20 nervous minutes and finally the officer says it's done but the police inspector is not here at the moment. S/he will be here AFTER 9PM. You come back by then? You get the same response no matter what time of the day or week you go.
4. You assume you will be the one the handful few that you see around with you.You reach the police station "After" 9PM and are completely surprised to see a huge crowd of over 200 folks.
5. There are all sorts of queues around, for initial identification, for signature from the required authority and finally to collect your papers.
6. Everything is fine and you think this is heaven since no one is asking for money; everything seems to be in order by Indian standards.
7. Then when you are just about to sign the final paper and collect the acknowledgement from the passport official, the papers are held tightly at one end by one the officers and you are told in an almost whispering tone, Rs 200/-.
8. The amount is the only thing that comes out of the sacred mouth and nothing else. You are in complete disbelief and pretend you didn't hear nothing. But then "iron grip" on the papers is strong enough and can only be greased when you pay the bucks. :)