How to get your Marriage Certificate or Marriage Registration done

Name should not be empty

A Certificate of Marriage provides proof of marriage, social security and is useful in obtaining visas for spouses to travel together.

Hindu Marriage Act

Pre – Process requirements:

  • Address proof: passport, driving license, gas bill, ration card, voter ID
  • Proof of residence must be from the city in which the marriage is being registered.
  • Application of marriage form filled.
  • Five photographs of the couple in size 2B. Joint photo of bride and groom with signatures over such photo. 

How the Application for Marriage Certificate works

Application for marriage filled in the prescribed form with:

  • Name and Address of bridegroom and bride
  • Signature of bride and bridegroom,
  • Signature of 3 attesting witnesses present at the time of marriage along with their name and address,
  • Joint photo of bride and bridegroom with a signature over each photo should be presented to the Registrar of Marriage. 

Marriage officer will verify the contents of the application and records. He will issue a Certificate of Marriage if he is satisfied that the records produced are in accordance with the law.

Special Marriage Act

It applies to all irrespective of religion, caste, language.

Pre – Process requirements:

In case you are planning to apply for a certificate post/prior to your marriage, here are some points to be noted carefully for solemnising the same:

A. The parties cannot be married to anyone else, without a proper legal termination of that marriage having taken place.

B. Any one of the parties cannot be of unsound mind and incapable of giving voluntary consent to the marriage.

C. Any one of the parties can be capable of giving voluntary consent, but of unsound mind and incapable of bearing children due to the same. Those of unsound mind cannot be eligible for solemnising a marriage.

D. Those who are within the criteria of prohibited relationships are also ineligible, unless they can marry with permission according to the usage of customs or usage governing them.

Special Marriage Act | Process Flow

1. The bridegroom and bride should give a notice of intended marriage 30 days in advance of solemnisation along with the prescribed fees. They must have lived continuously for not less than 30 days within the jurisdiction of the Marriage Officer before giving the notice.

2. If no objections are received within 30 days from the date of notice of intended marriage, the bridegroom and bride should appear before the Marriage Officer within the next 60 days after the lapse of 30 days from such a notice along with three witnesses for solemnisation of the Marriage.

The Marriage Officer after following the prescribed procedure under the Act and rules will solemnise the marriage. If the marriage is not solemnised within 90 days from the date of notice, a fresh notice has to be issued.

3. The Marriage Officer will administer an oath in the prescribed form, solemnise the marriage and issue a certificate of marriage.

4. The bride, bridegroom and three witnesses shall sign the declaration and the certificates of marriage.

What's your reaction?
Helpful - 919
Not helpful - 147
Need more detail - 0
Name should not be empty