What is the procedure for name change?

Name should not be empty

Here is a comprehensive process flow for name change that entails preparing an affidavit, template for newspapers advertisement and publication of the changed name in the official gazette of the state. 

Who do you approach for name change?

Local notary is to be approached for making an affidavit for stating the reason for this change. 


Where should be the changed name published?

This should be published in advertisements in two reputed newspapers (one local newspaper of the area in which he/she is residing and 2nd in newspaper of the area of permanent address) and submit original newspapers at time of applying for name change in identity certificates. 

What is the template for newspaper publication?

Here is the template for name change:

I, Sri ___________________ (old name) have changed my name from __________________ (old name) to ______________ (new name) by affidavit sworn before the Notary Public, ______________ (place) on ___________ (date). Henceforth, I shall be known as _________________ (New Name) for all purposes. ______________ (Name) and _______________ (Complete postal address).


What is the procedure for notifying the name change?

Now for getting your name published in the Official Gazette of your state, for example: “The Delhi Gazette”, you need to do the following things:

1. Visit your local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.


2. Get 2 copies of “Deed Changing Surname Form”. (Fill this form carefully as per the instructions provided therein)


3. If possible get the phone number, or the mobile number of the person of that department who can help you for Gazette Notification.


Then is the process flow for verification:

  1. Letter to the Secretary, requesting him to allow you to change your name. (Click here to view sample letter)
  2. Fill up the “Deed Changing Surname Form”
  3. True copies of the newspapers in which your name change statement is published.
  4. Attested copy of the Name Change Affidavit.
  5. A print out of the statement in plain paper that you need to publish in your official Gazette. (Generally same as your Newspaper Statement)
  6. A Copy of your current identity like your Voter Identity Card, PAN Card, Birth Certificate, School or College Certificates and etc.
  7. For verification, you need to send the following documents to the Secretary, Department of Commerce & Transport (Commerce), _________________ (State).

What's your reaction?
Helpful - 50
Not helpful - 7
Need more detail - 0
Name should not be empty